Sunday, October 10, 2010

My apartment






















The morning of Sunday, Oct 3 I got up early to try numberous cards in numerous bank machines to try and get enough cash for first and last months rent on my new apartment. The banks were closed and I didn't want to venture all the way to the tourist centre to get hosed on cashing my traveller's cheques. After many attempts I had just enough cash on me and I packed up the rest of my things at the hostel. I checked out at 9:30 am and asked the staff to call me a taxi. As I waited I told them that I had managed to find an apartment the day before, to which they were really surprised and claimed I'd set a new record. I described where it was and they insisted it was the best location in Florence. I had suspicions that it was but now it was confirmed by the locals. An expensive taxi ride later I was waiting on the street in Piazza San Felice with all my luggage. I waited, and waited. The landlady was late. At least 20 mins later she showed up and let me into the apartment where we got things settled despite our communication difficulties.

After unpacking I ventured out for awhile and returned to make some dinner. Shortly after my British roommate, Rosie, arrived and we got acquainted. That evening she took me out to a fancy bar, Colle Bereto, where some of her friends were meeting and I got my first taste of the Florentine night life. I slept great that night and woke up to church bells and the sun filtering through my terrace windows.








9 comments:

  1. Can't wait for your next post Jennie. it looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're living in one of your drawings, it looks like. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Jennie!! What an exciting adventure already!!! :) Good 4 you!! :)

    Very inspiring! Looking forward to hearing more!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks amazing!!!
    have you found gluten/dairy free cornetto?
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. no it's impossible to find them fresh! only processed packaged ones in the grocery store, blah! i'll have to learn to make my own! xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous apartment! Florence just can't stop being beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh, Italy. I would love to live in that country of old buildings and narrow streets. Is it expensive to live there? I heard that there are some areas in Europe where apartment rental is more expensive than Tokyo, which is kinda hard to believe.

    ReplyDelete